Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day.

First of all, if you're reading this and you haven't voted: Stop reading this and go vote. I don't care if you live in a state or a county or whatever that's so Republican they've actually painted all the rooves red so it'll show up nice on a sattelite picture, or so Democratic that they actually have a tax on the tax. GO VOTE.

Okay. That said:

Today is election day. Everybody's saying it'll be a close one, and we might not even know who won by late tonight. Which is fine and doesn't bother me.

I just want to put one thing out there before I am incapable of making any meaningful contribution because I'm obsessively refreshing the cnn.com page. (Or more likely the npr page. I am a liberal, y'know.)

Props to DRiches from Crossfiah! for posting to this effect and reminding me that it's a good and true thing he's saying, and I'd echo it here.

At the end of today, or maybe in a few days or weeks or whatever, we'll have either a new President or the same one we have now.

If my guy wins, then I'll be happy and of course will give him a (probably more than) fair chance to go about governing this country and guiding this nation in the path he has pledged, hopefully to the future he has promised. Duh.

But if Bush wins, then as much as I don't agree with that national choice, he will still be the President, and will deserve our respect if only for that.

Now, yes, if Bush comes out with a particularly succulent "Bushism," I'm going to chortle in my intellectually elitist feelings of superiority. And, to the extent that I ever did before this blog (which is to say, not much) I will disagree with his policies and make that disagreement known.

But he will still (Chas V'Shalom) be the President. And will still deserve some respect, even deference, even obeisance purely for that reason.

I hope it's not too close, primarily because there's lots of weirdness going on with various voting situations around the country. But even if it is. even if the courts have to get involved, there's an abiding and sublime beauty to this nation's peaceful handover of power every four years and I will not lend my voice or hands or heart to any attempt to undermine that beauty, even a little bit.

Which is a nice way of saying to one and all: If your guy loses, suck it up. Be a good American anyway.

--FD

PS: Have I mentioned you should go vote?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home